December 17, 2012

5 Steps to be Fit and Healthy


 

 There's no secret to being fit and healthy. The hardest part is getting started and sticking with your routine. The process requires time and more importantly...dedication.

I run ten to fifteen miles per week and eat a very healthy diet.  With the amount of exercise I do and the type of food I eat, I should be extremely lean and toned. But I wasn't really seeing the results that I wanted.  I realized that my body simply adjusted to my daily routine and it needed a lift.

I started looking for new exercise routines to jump-start my fitness slump.  In my research, I  found lots of tips on how to make my routine & my diet more efficient.  By incorporating these 5 simple steps, I've seen significant results and finally figured out what works for me. And it can work for you too!

#1: Drink Lemon Water
Start your morning by flushing the toxins from your body by drinking a warm, 8oz glass of lemon water.  Lemon water is an essential addition to your daily routine.  It provides minerals and vitamins including vitamin C, B-1, B-2 and B-6 and aids in your body's digestion.  Throughout your day, drink at least 8 glasses of lemon water a day. By adding this simple step to your diet, you'll not only help your body's digestion and aide in weight loss, you should discover better looking skin and new found energy.

#2: Drink Tea--- Green Tea
A friend of mine once told me that if there's only one thing you change in your diet, drink green tea every day. Research has found health benefits linked to fighting cancer and heart disease, lowering cholesterol and burning fat.  I've also read that by drinking green tea, you can increase your body's resting metabolic rate. That's all I needed to hear. I have an extremely slow metabolism, so I don't ask questions.

#3: Plyometrics (and traditional weight training)
Cardio is key to keeping your heart healthy and improving your stamina. Keep doing it! But to build overall body strength and speed, you've got to incorporate the principles of plyometrics.

Running has helped me develop great lower body strength, but my upper body strength is nothing to brag about.  If you recall, I've mentioned that I'm a slow runner.  I've looked at my race results year over year and was shocked to see my pace has not improved.    I started incorporating weight training into my routine along with plyometrics and I've noticed a difference in my muscle definition, along with an increase in my running speed (yeah!).

You don't need to spend tons of time in the gym.  It's not about the amount of time you spend, it's about how efficient you are.  Read more about this in my next post about Quick and Efficient Muscle Building Routines that you can add to your cardio workout.

#4: Whole Foods
Are you eating clean and whole foods? Our busy schedules have us on the move all the time, making it harder and harder to focus on preparing the right foods for your family's meals.  You don't have to be an expert to know that organic, whole foods are much better for your overall health vs. eating processed or pre-prepared foods.

Think about deli meat, for example. It's filled with all sorts of stuff that we shouldn't put in our bodies! Instead of buying sliced turkey at the deli counter, I grab a turkey london broil from the butcher.  Each week, I bake it, slice it, and store it in a container in my refrigerator.  I've just took a simple step to packing healthier lunches for me and my family (and it's more economical).

#5: SmoothiesSmoothies....what can I say. We all love them and they're easy to prepare.  My morning starts with a banana and strawberry smoothie made with almond milk and a teaspoon of Flaxseed.  There is no easier way to get essential vitamins and minerals incorporated into your daily routine.

To ensure that I don't skip this very important step, I prep my fruit the night before.  If you have a Bullet, event better. You can blend your smoothie in the Bullet mug and take it on the go. Try it. Flaxseed provides fiber to help you feel fuller to get you through your morning. And the tiny seed has been linked to research showing that it helps fight cancer.

You will figure out what works best for you but by incorporating these 5 simple steps into your daily routine, you'll feel great and discover a more fit and healthy you!

No comments:

Post a Comment